Classical Zabaglione sounds difficult but isn’t. This 5-minute Italian mousse is super-easy to make! Even better, it’s healthy, non-glycemic, and Paleo, made with dairy-free coconut milk. You can whip it up and enjoy it immediately, no need to heat or chill. This recipe uses orange peel and lemon juice instead of Marsala wine, for a high-antioxidant zing. If you’re on a Vegan diet, skip the raw egg yolks and it will be every bit as luscious. This is super-easy to make if all your ingredients are at room temperature. If your ingredients are cold, it will be too thick for a blender. If your coconut butter is solid, you can weigh it to measure and add it to the blender or food processor hard. If you wish to measure 1/4 cup, it’s easier to soften it first to about 80 degrees, not hot. (Coconut melts at 78 degrees.) Coconut is delicate, so have all your ingredients in a medium temperature range, otherwise, the pudding might separate and get lumpy. You want it SMOOOOTH! This is truly a guilt-free sweet if you use one of the zero-glycemic sweeteners suggested, low in the carbs and sugars that cause weight gain. Zabaglione tastes even more delicious with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream. (I keep a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for emergency needs.) Mix and serve Zabaglione immediately at room temperature. Or store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Serves 2.
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk from the top of the can, such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (That's 57 grams if you're weighing hard coconut butter.)
- 1/4 cup sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 4 egg yolks (For a vegan dessert, skip this)
- zest of one orange (I used a micro-grater)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch unprocessed salt
- 3 tablespoons pure cacao powder
- 1-3 tablespoons water or thin coconut milk at room temperature, if needed to blend
- Put all ingredients except cacao powder into any blender or food processor. Mix well until smooth.
- Add the cacao powder last and mix until smooth. Add a bit more liquid if needed to blend.
- Pour into 2 dessert cups and serve immediately, or chill to thicken even more. It tastes extra yummy with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream.