Here’s a Paleo twist on the Classic Pumpkin Pie we know and love. Not all pumpkins are equal. For a truly authentic flavor, start with the best fresh pumpkin you can find. A friend gave me the most flavorful organic pumpkin I’ve ever seen or tasted, a strange variety with a long neck and bright orange pulp! Wow! See photo below. I peeled, cubed, lightly steamed it, and we’ll be eating pumpkin for days. Butternut squash also works well in this recipe. I suggest my easy Perfect Gluten-free Coconut Pie Crust. Two other possible crusts are my Paleo Vegan Pie Crust or Flaky Baked Pie Crust, which is in my book Paleo Desserts. This Pumpkin Pie is delicious with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream Topping! For the best flavor and texture, follow the recipe. You’ll need a food processor for the crust, and a blender for the filling. Yield: One 9-inch pie. Find lots more healthy treats in my book Paleo Desserts or my website PaleoDesserts.com.
- 1 recipe Instant Coconut Whipped Creme
- 1 recipe Vegan Flaky Baked Piecrust
- 1/2 cup medium to thick unsweetened coconut milk, or 1/4 cup thin
- 2/3 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener. You could also consider using half Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, for a deeper brown sugar flavor.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon (Meyer's if possible)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, chopped or grated, or 1/4 teaspoon ground
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled, cubed, steamed lightly until soft, and drained very well
- Prepare the Instant Coconut Whipped Creme
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Prepare the Vegan Flaky Baked Pie Crust and place in a 9-inch pie pan. Pre-bake for 20 minutes, then increase the oven temperature to 350°F.
- While the pie crust pre-bakes, in a food processor fitted with “S” blade or a high-speed blender, place the coconut milk, sweetener, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, orange zest, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, and ginger. Mix well.
- Add the steamed pumpkin (or butternut squash) and blend until smooth and creamy. Sweeten to taste and adjust the spices so they’re yummy.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie shell. Bake for 45 for 60 minutes. Let cool for 1 hour in the pan on a rack. Serve and enjoy!
This is absolutely the most beautiful pumpkin I’ve ever seen – or tasted!