Fluffy, high-protein, low-carb, flourless, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free waffles? In less than 15 minutes work? Yep. I was craving waffles today, and tired of sticky-sweet breakfasts. Quinoa is a tasty ancient Incan superfood. Even better, it’s a complete protein! Quinoa is a seed related to beets and spinach, not a grain. This recipe calls for soaking the quinoa seeds overnight. Soaking removes lectins and saponins from seeds so they’re easier to digest. I like pre-sprouted quinoa by TruRoots, found in any healthy grocery, however this is optional. If you own a super-blender such as a BlendTec or VitaMix, you can even dispense with soaking, and jus blend the raw quinoa into all the ingredients in the morning. Ha ha! Are you ready? This recipe will go very fast, so make sure your waffle-maker is hot and ready before you blend the ingredients. Makes 4-6 waffles, Serves 2
What topping to choose?
Today I topped them with Redwood Hill Goat Kefir and cilantro.
More waffle topping ideas:
- Fried egg, avocado, cilantro, and pico de gallo
- Greek yogurt or plain goat yogurt with chives
- Kefir with chopped green onions or any chopped herbs
- Tuscany Mushrooms with Garlic and Lemon
Here they are cooking. Are you ready for a fluffy, low-carb treat?
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup alternative milk or water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted oil such as organic coconut, ghee, butter, or olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped, or 1 tablespoon dry herbs such as dill, tarragon, basil or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 green onions, chopped