I’m crazy for beets, a potent anti-cancer food. With its rich red color and satisfying Old World flavor, my Polish friends said they’d never tasted a better Borscht. I guess my old-world roots are coming out today! This is not just a root veggie soup with beets and carrots. The surprise addition of sweet potato and rutabaga give this soup a novel flavor twist. Feel free to make your own changes, as it’s an extremely flexible recipe, and no two Bubbas ever make the same Borscht. After all, if you’ve only got root vegetables in storage, and winter in Poland lasts 8 months, your options are limited, so you eat a LOT of Borscht. Like any soup, the delicious quality all depends on your broth. I made a rich chicken broth with my Paleo Bone Broth recipe, or use your favorite broth. Garnish with Coconut Sour Cream and chopped dill or parsley for a traditional meal that’s also dairy-free. Freeze leftovers up to three months in serving-size containers, something to look forward to on a cold winter day! Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
- Coconut Sour Cream (You'll need 1 can thick coconut milk, refrigerated)
- 4 cups Bone Broth, or your favorite broth
- 2 beets, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 sweet potato, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 rutabaga, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, in bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup diced parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to taste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 3 tablespoons diced dill or parsley
- Blend the Coconut Sour Cream and chill for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, bring to a boil the broth, beets, sweet potato, rutabaga, carrots, onion, and salt. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 -30 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the liquid from the soup and set it aside to cool. To the soup, add butter or oil, parsley, and simmer 15 -20 minutes more.
- Whisk arrowroot flour into the cooled broth until it dissolves. Stir it into the hot soup to thicken. Just before serving add lemon juice or vinegar.
- Garnish with Coconut Sour Cream and chopped dill or parsley.