This cake is incredibly moist, flavorful, and a very dark chocolate color. It is the only chocolate cake I’ve ever seen that is gluten-free, grain free, dairy-free, and sweetened with natural zero-carb chicory root sweetener. The recipe is from my new book Paleo Desserts, 125 Delicious Everyday Favorites, Gluten and Grain-free. Rich with pure cacao, the cake uses blueberries and apple for delicious flavor, high nutrition, and natural pectin to help bind the cake. This is super tasty with Paleo Raspberry Jam and Instant Mocha Buttercream Frosting. The cake is so delicious, you’ll never miss the usual refined ingredients. Makes one luscious 3-layer cake.
Paleo Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling
- 1 recipe Paleo Raspberry Jam
- 2 1/4 cups Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 6 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 3/4 cups raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 3/4 cups medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup pure cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, well drained, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tart apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into chunks (275 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant decaffeinated coffee powder or crystals
- 1 recipe Instant Mocha Buttercream Frosting
- Make the Paleo Raspberry Jam and chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a fine powder.
- Add the shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is uniformly fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and arrowroot. Mix well and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Place in any style blender the eggs, blueberries, apples, vanilla, and coffee crystals. Blend well until liquefied.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Mix briefly to remove any lumps. Pour the batter evenly into the three prepared cake pans, and smooth flat. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Prepare the Instant Mocha Buttercream Frosting.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Let cool for about 1 hour in the pan. Using a thin knife, release around the edges of each cake pan, and gently allow the cake to pull away.
- To assemble the cake: Place one cake layer on a large serving platter. Spread it with half of the Raspberry “Jam.” Place the second layer on top and repeat with the remaining “Jam.” Place the third cake layer on top. Frost the top and sides with Instant Mocha Buttercream Frosting.
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Paleo Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling"