This Raspberry Jam is quick to make, sweet, refreshingly tart, and bright red in color. It is yummy on Chocolate Cake, Pumpkin Pancakes, Thumbprint Cookies, Ice Cream (find the last two recipes in my book Paleo Desserts.) Actually – it’s delicious on everything! It’s even guilt-free as it won’t cause a blood-sugar jolt if you use one of the zero-glycemic sweeteners suggested. Uncooked raspberries are alive with flavor and antioxidants. Some people may choose to strain out the seeds to enjoy a smooth texture. Others love the authentic “jam” experience and if so, you can keep the seeds in. For the most delicious flavor and consistency, follow this recipe exactly. Equipment needed: Any style blender, preferably small, works best. To strain, use a medium-gauge strainer. Makes about 2/3 cup “Jam”. Find more delicious sweets in my book Paleo Desserts, 125 Delicious Everyday Favorites, Gluten and Grain-free.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 4-6 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 to 2/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes
- 3 tablespoons filtered water, to cook agar
- Press the raspberries to drain all the excess liquid. It is important to drain out as much liquid as possible, especially if the raspberries are frozen.
- Place the raspberries, sweetener, vanilla, and lemon juice in any style blender. Liquefy completely.
- If you choose to strain out the raspberry seeds, pour the mixture into a medium-gauge strainer over a mixing bowl. Stir with a rubber spatula, tapping the strainer with a metal handle until all pulp passes through. Pour the strained raspberries back into the blender. Sweeten to taste.
- In a small pan over medium heat, stir the agar into the water. Cook and stir gently for 2 to 3 minutes until it is bubbly and gummy and the flakes begin to dissolve. Add the agar mixture to the blender immediately and blend well to remove any lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and chill for 1 hour to thicken. Spread it on cakes, cookies — all right—it tastes great on everything!