Fluffy Lemon Cupcakes are delicate and light, filled with tangy citrus flavor, a perfect treat for yourself or someone special. Yes, those are my teeth marks again! Although you’d never guess from tasting them, they’re gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, hypo-allergenic, and diabetic friendly. Plus they’re even yummier with Orange Honey Butter Frosting or Instant Mocha Buttercream Frosting. For all types of cakes and a huge selection of delectable frosting recipes, pick up a copy of my book Paleo Desserts! These cupcakes store well in the refrigerator for 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. For perfect results, follow this recipe closely. A food processor is needed to grind the coconut. Yield: 12 regular cupcakes.
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 2/3 cups medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cupcake pan with coconut oil and dust with coconut flour or arrowroot flour.
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a very fine powder. Add the shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the arrowroot, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- To the dry ingredients in the food processor, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix briefly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a rack before removing from the pan. Frost and enjoy!