How do you like your hamburger? Grass-fed burger piled up with avocado, lettuce, tomato and organic bacon is my idea of heaven. However THIS post is all about the Paleo bun! Ha ha! My new discovery is a super-easy bun that’s gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, no pesticides or Monsanto ingredients. Make the buns in a food processor with coconut butter and eggs. Bake in an English muffin ring. Presto! The bun rises beautifully in the oven and slices just like a hamburger bun. Try it, you’ll love it! Slather the bun with your favorite sauce like Cashew Mayo, Avocado Pesto, or Paleo Ketchup. Add a slice of my easy Vegan Cheddar Cheese, which I keep in the freezer for special occasions. This recipe makes 4 buns or 8 buns – see the recipe below. You’ll need a set of 4 or 8 English muffin rings. A food processor is helpful but not required. If you’re mixing by hand, soften the coconut butter first by placing the container in a bowl of warm water. Enjoy!
Just baked in English muffin rings, these babies are hot!
Cooling my buns, waiting to be sliced.
My buns are sliced, ready for toppings….
Pile up your favorite burger ingredients and enjoy!
|4 Hamburger Buns||8 Hamburger Buns|
|3 whole eggs, at room temperature (165 grams)||6 whole eggs, at room temperature (330 grams)|
|1/4 cup almond meal||1/2 cup almond meal|
|1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt||1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda||1 teaspoon baking soda|
|2/3 cup soft (151 grams hard) Coconut Butter (if mixing by hand, softened)||1 1/3 cup soft (302 grams hard) Coconut Butter (if mixing by hand, softened)|
|3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar||1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar|
|Sesame seeds for garnish||Sesame seeds for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place four English muffin rings on top.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, add eggs, almond meal, salt, and baking soda. Mix until smooth.
- Add coconut butter and mix until it is a smooth paste
- Add the vinegar and mix very well—this begins the rising action. The batter should be about the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Working quickly, use a scant 1/3 cup measure to divide the batter evenly between the four rings, smoothing the top flat. Press the rings down gently so batter doesn’t leak underneath. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until barely colored on the top. Cool on a rack 15 minutes. Slice with a serrated knife.
- 1 pound ground grass-fed or pastured meat (lamb, beef, bison, chicken, turkey, rabbit), in 1/4 pound patties, cooked as you like.
- Your favorite sauce, such as Paleo Ketchup, Cashew Mayo or Avocado Pesto.
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, preferably vine-ripened and flavorful, sliced (optional)
- Handful arugula, spinach or lettuce
- 6 slices bacon, cooked (optional)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Slather bun with your favorite yummy sauce.
- Pile on your meat, veggies, bacon, cheese, tomato, etc.
“Our ancestors ate real food. Our protein sources had a soul and a face. Our carbs come from things that we could pluck out of our garden and eat.” Robb Wolf