Paleo Huevos Rancheros are the best Mexican breakfast ever, made with my incredulicious refried sweet potatoes, a new recipe! Then it’s topped with fried eggs, avocado, cilantro, and smothered with tomato salsa. Let’s talk about the refried sweet potatoes – they’re truly yummy! I wanted to create a soft texture like beans with grated cheese. So I decided to grate the sweet potatoes instead of yellow cheese. Mushrooms add richness and dark color. The lemon, nutritional yeast, and coconut butter create a dairy-free, vegan cheese sauce in the sweet potatoes. WOW! What a flavor! My guests went completely crazy for refried sweet potatoes, and there were ZERO leftovers.
Huevos Rancheros are fantastic with Paleo Cauliflower Wraps! The wraps are optional, instead of corn tortillas on the bottom, for dipping, and for cleaning your plate. When my family lived in Mexico, we used the traditional ways of cooking, such as handmade ollas, special pots for the refried beans, and cooked in a troje, or the kitchen out back. We made Huevos Rancheros every way imaginable, and now here’s a Paleo recipe. It’s also a vegan recipe. However for meat-eaters, sausage is a delicious optional addition. Let me know your comments! Serves 6
Paleo Huevos Rancheros – Fried eggs over refried sweet potatoes, a fabulicious new invention! It’s all garnished with avocado slices, cilantro, and smothered with tomato salsa.
The easy cauliflower wrap is optional, for wrapping and dipping.
- 1 recipe Paleo Cauliflower Wraps, optional
- 6 medium tomatoes, about 775 grams (Fresh is way better than canned.)
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, in large chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound organic sausage or chorizo, optional
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pure chipotle powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, raw and grated
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (for cheese flavor)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (for sharp cheese flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (for a rich cheese-sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Black pepper
- 6 large eggs - See The Best Eggs are Pasture-raised Organic
- Large handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Add all ingredients to a food processor: tomatoes, green onions, garlic, salt, chili powder, and ground cumin. Pulse until tomatoes are in pieces, without turning into mush. Pour into a serving bowl. Season to taste.
- Heat oil in a medium to large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, and cumin. Add the optional sausage, and cook another 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and sauté until they begin to soften. Add grated sweet potato and mix it in. Pour 1/4 cup filtered water into the bottom of the pan and cover, to allow the steam to cook the sweet potato. Stir in remaining ingredients: yeast, lemon juice, coconut butter, salt, and pepper. When the sweet potato is soft but not mushy, remove from heat.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add a bit of olive oil. Break the eggs into the pan and lower the heat. Fry the eggs to your taste - sunny-side up, over-easy or scrambled. Add salt and pepper.
- Use a large serving platter, individual plates, or serve buffet-style. Place cauliflower wrap on the bottom, if using. Add a few spoonfuls of Refried Sweet Potatoes. Put fried egg on top. Pour Tomato Salsa over everything. Garnish with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro. ¡Ay, caramba!